Sign in to follow this  
farmer.ned

leon motor services finningley

hi this ones been on my to do list since last year and im actually surprised to see its still there and not an estate full of those rabbit hutch houses

leon motor services were formed in 1922  and ended in 2004 when it was sold to mass transit/brightbus  which is another of my to do yards.

leons main stage carriage route was the 191 doncaster to finningley services which they worked daily for 82 years serving RAF finningley which is now robin hood airport  they also had 2 additional services serving the outlying villages of wroot and misson on doncasters market days of tuesday friday and saturday .

the other core of leons work were school services and the coaching side of the business with day trips and holidays in the uk and abroad and also private hire work with a booking office in doncasters south bus station for many years

towards the end leon also took up contract work  as a long established operator on the 152 to skellow joint with yorkshire traction and a service to west bessacar as well as other  local doncaster services & schools on contract to the local authorities .

most of the leon fleet was withdrawn when mass took over quite possibly making its way to the scrapyard but hopefully some may have been saved 

the last time i visited... the sheds were shared with mass/ brightbus school buses today it is a  very sad sight as the pictures show with the vandals smashing what they can even a bus stored in the garage  and abandond rubbish all over the site and nature starting to reclaim part of the  yard  it marks the sad passing of one of doncasters last true independent bus operators . rnAIWB.jpg

one of leons more older survivors daimler BRF 733E  reverses into the turn around point with a market day service to  wroot  aquired by leon from turners of staffordshire 

Yh8s6w.jpg

as stated the main core route for leon was the service from finningley to doncaster ORR 263 L  leaves doncaster south bus station with a service back to finningley.

0rO6Dr.jpg

a leon line up at the yard of various daimlers and atlanteans note the advertisement for brockholes farm riding centre  this is now the yorkshire wildlife park.

tvodKEI.jpg

two of leons fitters pose for the camera in front of number 91 over the repair pit

3c5Itg.jpg

now boarded up and empty 

m8vHAr.jpg

the end of an era after 82 years  doncasters last independent bows out... the garage now in the hands of school bus operator mass transit north anston sheffieldAMIa7m.jpg mass transit school buses and leon buses stand side by side outside on the garage forecourt.

ep2qZD.jpg

the scene today the main long shed building has gone and the offices on the right the repair sheds still stand for now but is now ererily quiet and abandonded

3fz003.jpg

even the diesel pumps have attracted the attention of the vandals

MAVHh7.jpg

a blast from the past leon optare metrorider M926 TYG stands at the warning tounge  lane turning circle en route to west bessacar this turning circle is just a stones throw from brockholes farm riding centre which became the yorkshire wildlife park.

qaXL2I.jpg

the same vehicle derelict for many years stands in the undergrowth at the abandonded depot.

bM0oYx.jpg

a side view of 926 still in its leon livery

tgd9S0.jpgCHGh9z.jpgFfBbzD.jpg

at great risk to my legs and you should see the scratches here are 3 interior views of 926 2 in the passenger side and 1 of the drivers cab she still retains her passenger seats.

nV7r1o.jpg

926,s rear panel after i had shifted all the crap leaning against it  shows its sad legacy .

Md1dqb.jpg

2 leon double deckers rest at the side of the garage.

Rxlto2.jpgQJgVKb.jpg

ouWZFg.jpg

now a sad derelict mess awaiting sale and development or demolition

EN921e.jpg

the outside underwash  ramp still exists.

1bR2Cl.jpg

now filled with rubbish and barrels.

461ODt.jpg

round the back of the depot 

xdA14w.jpg

and finally vandals broke in to the bus shed and damaged a bus stored  in the garage by the time i visited the shed had been re secured  and this photo was taken through the gap in the shed door