FunkyMuffin

Queen Califia's Magical Circle

"Queen Califia's Magical Circle is the only American sculpture garden and the last major international project created by Niki de Saint Phalle (born France, 1930-2002). Inspired by California's mythic, historic and cultural roots. The garden consists of nine large-scale sculptures, a circular "snake wall" and maze entryway, sculpturally integrated bench seating, and native shrubs and trees planted within the interior plaza and along the outer perimeter. The imposing mosaic sculpture of Queen Califia standing on the back of a five-legged eagle commands the center of the garden. Eight large totemic sculptures surround Queen Califia. They are covered with symbols and forms freely drawn from Native American, Pre-Columbian, and Mexican art as well as the artist's own fantastic imagery." It took nearly 4 years to plan and execute and was opened to the public in 2003. Niki passed away a year before its completion.

I was lucky to have had a chance to visit this which is a short distance from my parent's house. The sculpture garden only opens a couple of days a week for a few hours and remains closed when it rains up to 24 hours before. It was a bit difficult to photograph with the high gloss of the mosaic tiles and stones.

img%5D

img%5D

img%5D

img%5D

img%5D

img%5D

img%5D

img%5D

img%5D

img%5D

img%5D

img%5D

img%5D

img%5D

img%5D 

• Like 2

Thats horrid and moreish all at the same time, reminds me a bit of the Antoni Gaudí stuff in Barcelona for some reason, not sure why cus it's feck all like it tbh. 

😂 

• Like 1

Good grief, the stuff of nightmares......he must have been on some good S**t (whatever than means.....;) :P).

Gaudi  too, that Sagradi Familia is something else, I liked it a LOT and I was sober too briefly ! I have pictures somewhere in my files, I must have a rummage, it was pre-digital days when we were there but I had then put onto disc when processed.

Nice pics though, you can just feel the heat and the see sunshine and blue sky......wonderful.

KM

• Like 2

Thanks guys! It was a delight in the warm Escondido sun and lots of stories from the old folk who were volunteering there. I can't imagine the labour involved in putting each stone and tile into place by hand, let alone cutting each tile into shapes by hand as well. :o