Derelict UK - Urban Exploration Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Tbolt

The attempted murder of the Yorkshire cowboy

Being as Mr Snapt had decided to get me up at 03:15 yesterday morning Blober and myself decided it was only fair that we try to kill him.
So after meeting him at stupid o'clock and kissing the venga bus goodbye for the day (oh and the night as it turned out) I jumped in his Cadaver waggon and we set a course for Anglesey and after much coffee or girly Latte's in his case we made surprisingly good time.

So after the biggest breakfast you can buy on Anglesey it was time to try and kill him.

First off was physical exhaustion, we walked round our first target pretending to look for a weak point in the spikey thing and as we crossed a sea wall with a long drop onto sharp rocks I thought I had him as his feet shot this way and that way but the bugger managed to regain his balance just in the nick of time :(

Next up I tried to get him wedged under the spikey thing then I could leave him to the badgers so he squeezed and squashed and despite my words of encouragement just not quite far enough and he was out again :10_1_108:

So it was time to try and get him to impale himself on the spikey thing but as we got to the climby bit some secca bugger had parked his van right at the other side and seemed to be coming for a look as to wtf was going on!!! :wacko:

I needed to change my plan here so we jumped back in the van of doom and went to a nearby coastal brick works,

Porth wen brickworks.

Porth Wen Brickworks is a now disused Victorian brickworks which produced fire bricks, made from quartzite (silica) used to line steel-making furnaces. The substantial remains include a number of buildings and the remains of some of the machinery, but has some damage from sea erosion. The site is a scheduled monument.

Porthwen Brickworks includes quarries, an incline tramroad to the works, and includes a crushing house, moulding shed, drying sheds, and kilns. The brickmaking operation was supported by storage hoppers, engine house, boiler house, chimneys, warehouse and a quay.[5]

Brickmaking started on the site in the mid 19th century, with the tramroad being added later, and the existing buildings being built in the early 20th century.[6] Although the brickworks ceased production in the first half of the 20th century (sources vary on the date; either 1924 or 1949),[1][6] the buildings and much of the equipment remain in situ, and the site shows:

...the visual scars of time and nature on its rural-industrial face as well as just the immense history built into the very bricks and stones (wiki)

32911473766_a6741a8ef7_z.jpg001_2925 by T Bolt, on Flickr

32952199435_703f25e59f_z.jpgraining by T Bolt, on Flickr

Awwwww
32911112796_ee30c45a92_k.jpg001_2970 by T Bolt, on Flickr

32108900864_030d460608_k.jpg001_2993 by T Bolt, on Flickr

My plan was to push him into the sea as I know yorkshire men can't swim but a young couple seemingly looking for a quiet spot thwarted my efforts (and us theirs it would seem lol)
Next up to go and meet blober to team up on this one, surely he'd know how to do away with an Englishman being a welsh chap.

Saunders Roe

Saunders-Roe Limited of East Cowes, Isle of Wight was a British aircraft manufacturing company.

1929 The name Saunders-Roe was adopted after Alliott Verdon-Roe and John Lord took a controlling interest in the boat and aircraft-builders S. E. Saunders.

1931 Whitehall Securities, a large shareholder in Spartan Aircraft, wanted to merge that company with Saunders-Roe[1]. This was finally agreed after Whitehall bought out the owner Oliver Simmonds.

Saunders-Roe continued using the Spartan name, and built 13 Arrows, a small two seat biplane. They then designed the Mailplane, a plane for mail-carrying services. Only the prototype was built, as it was developed into the Cruiser, a passenger-carrying aircraft. Fifteen were built, and sold as far away as Yugoslavia, Czechoslovakia, Egypt and India, but the majority were kept by Saunders-Roe.

1933 Designers and constructors of flying boards, seaplanes and aeroplanes. Works: Cowes, Isle of Wight. Head Office: Bush House, Aldwych, London, W.C.2.[2]

1933 S. E. Saunders died. In the 4 years since the change of name, the company had constructed 12 further life boats for the Royal National Lifeboat Institution[3].

1933 Established air-travel company, Spartan Airways, from Somerton

By the end of 1933 Spartan Airways had proved so successful that it became part of Southern Railways and the Railways Air Services network, with flights to Ryde, Isle of Wight, as well as services to London and Birmingham as well as a stop-over at Bembridge Airport, Isle of Wight. The last Spartan design was the Clipper, but only one of those was built.

1935 Spartan Airways merged with United Airways which, in 1936, became Allied British Airways, then British Airways, which in 1939 became part of British Overseas Airways Corporation, which later became the British Airways of today.

1937 Aircraft flying boats. "Saro" Flying Boats and Amphibians[4]

Saunders-Roe, commonly abbreviated Saro, concentrated on producing flying-boats, but none were produced in very large quantities - the longest run being 31 Londons. They also produced hulls for the Blackburn Bluebird, and during the Second World War manufactured Supermarine Walrus and de Havilland Sea Otters.

Somerton remained open throughout the war for the use of Saunders-Roe.

1942 Three hangars were destroyed in air raids, including the last Spartan aircraft.

The last fixed-wing aircraft they built was the experimental SR53 mixed-power interceptor.

1951 Saunders-Roe took over the interests of the Cierva Autogiro Co whose helicopter design was developed to be the Skeeter helicopter.

1952 they flew the prototype Princess but the age of the flying-boat was over and no more were produced at Cowes.

1959 the company demonstrated the first practical hovercraft, the Saunders-Roe SR-N1.

1959 S. Pearson and Son sold the company to Westland Aircraft[5], who continued the Skeeter family with the Scout and Wasp.

1961 Boat builders, floating pontoon bridges and ferries and commerical vehical body builders. 950 employees.

1964 all the hovercraft businesses under Westland were merged with Vickers Supermarine to form the British Hovercraft Corporation. This in turn was taken over by Westland and was renamed Westland Aerospace in 1985, and hovercraft production ceased.

The company produced component parts for the aircraft industry, especially engine nacelles for many aircraft including the DeHavilland Canada 'Dash 8', the Shorts 330, the Lockheed Hercules, the British Aerospace Jetstream and parts for the McDonnell-Douglas MD-11. By the mid 1990s, over 60% of the world's production of turboprop nacelles took place in the East Cowes works.

1994 Westland was taken over by GKN; when GKN sold its shares in Westland to form AgustaWestland, it retained the East Cowes works, where it continued aircraft component design and production, and more recently manufactured blades for wind turbines.

Saunders-Roe had a base in Anglesey where they were also known for their work on bus bodywork.

1955 An integral bus was built for Maidstone and District. This model had a Gardner 5HLW horizontal engine.

Allthough I really liked this place there wasn't much to photograph really and offered very little chance of killing Snapt but here's a few pics.

32798326642_f402949f47_k.jpgchair by T Bolt, on Flickr

32952230455_9198158eb2_k.jpg001_3041 by T Bolt, on Flickr

32108894814_44d19741e4_k.jpg001_3028 by T Bolt, on Flickr

32571376830_73082e9c18_k.jpg001_3023 by T Bolt, on Flickr

32911470826_9f55789802_k.jpg001_3059 by T Bolt, on Flickr

Then we found this

32137306973_83c18a752a_k.jpg001_3063 by T Bolt, on Flickr

32108432864_8ca9a1181b_k.jpg001_3067 by T Bolt, on Flickr

I've never seen Mr Snapt so happy since he got a shovel, this wasn't good enough it was time to hand over to Blober.

Cwmorthin

Cwmorthin was run by several different companies as a venture in its own right during the 1800's. The earlier underground workings started at "Lake Level", so called due to the entrance being just above the surface of the nearby Llyn Cwmorthin, and ascended upwards in the mountain ultimately for 8 floors in both the Old and Back Vein. Poor working practices and reckless engineering decisions ultimately led to a substantial collapse and the end of that company.

A new company took the mine on afterwards and reused Lake Level but sealed off the shattered and dangerous upper floors. Instead, they developed new workings below, going down into the mountain. Ultimately this company sunk five floors on both veins, before itself being forcibly closed in 1901 due to a legal dispute.

The now abandoned lower floors flooded up to Lake Level, containing an immense amount of water hundreds of feet deep, which remained until the early 1930's. The neighbouring mine (Oakeley Quarries) were at this time driving underneath the old Cwmorthin workings and were uneasy about having such a huge volume of water above them, so decided to drain it out. Special diamond-drilled bore holes were driven through into the deepest parts of Cwmorthin from Oakeley and the water drained out under controlled conditions.

When the water level reached the bottom, the mines were connected in several places by full-size tunnels and Oakeley (who'd taken over the ownership of Cwmorthin) actually re-opened some of Cwmorthin and put men to work in it. The Back Vein Incline was re-equipped and even a new incline was driven down another 90 vertical feet to open some more chambers.

Cwmorthin then operated essentially as just another part of Oakeley right up until 1970 when Oakeley itself closed. This marked the end of the mine's working life as a major concern, however, throughout the 1980's and early 1990's the mine was working on a limited scale by a small team of local men.

Despite Blobers best efforts Snapt is still with us so I'm going to let him describe this part for y'all as I'm sure he will be able to describe the complete and utter terror he felt at several points in this place.:P

32952210265_b6dd457479_k.jpg001_3084 by T Bolt, on Flickr

32108871974_51c32df9c8_k.jpg001_3090 by T Bolt, on Flickr

I finally got to bed at 02:15 this morning 23 hours after getting up but what a cracking day thanks to Snapt and to Blobs, I would do it all again next week, lol

Over to you Mr Snapt

When I wasn't clinging on for life or shaking I managed a few pics down the slate mine.

32632934750_b820b329e9_b.jpgMine Cart by Richard Ashton, on Flickr

32600627820_583c56f240_b.jpgDeep Inside Earth by Richard Ashton, on Flickr

Did I go on it, absolutely not:lol:

32583453100_c0bdb00ce8_b.jpgU